Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Potty Training

I've been holding off potty training Rylan until we moved.  He has been showing signs and occasionally asking to go potty.  Well, he is officially potty trained as of Monday.  Monday morning he woke up and wanted to go potty first thing.  I felt that was unusual for someone who wears diapers, so I took him to the bathroom and put his underwear on.  I explained that he needed to pee and poop in the toilet not his underwear.  It has been two days, and he has only had one accident.  He has done it completely on  his own. He is now a big boy.

4 comments:

Leila said...

Yeah! I love it when they are ready. Colleen has no desire at all and looks at me like I am crazy when I suggest that someday she might like to try using the potty.

Mike & Anna said...

It's been three days and only the one accident. He tells me his diapers are scary. I think he is really scared of them.

Charlotte said...

Um, yeah... I tried the practicing thing after Sam has an accident. It was a disaster. He'd go completely limp and scream, "I don't want to sit the potty!" I couldn't physically force him to the bathroom or to sit on the pot, so he won.

He's slowly becoming more agreeable on the issue. He rarely initiates it, but he also fights it less.

I wonder if I could tell him that monsters grow in wet underwear... that fear thing doesn't sound too bad. :)

Mike & Anna said...

I'd tell him that he has to sit in time out until he is ready to practice, and then make him practice. This is the hard part. They think that you are going to give in if they make it hard, so you have to make sure that you don't. THere will be much kicking and screaming and quite a few accidents. But at some point you have to start winning under your terms or you never will, and he is getting bigger, so you window of opportunity is getting smaller.